Thursday, April 15, 2010

We made it!!

We are here!! Unfortunately there is no internet access where we live so I will be posting sporadically.

We got into Costa Rica on a Continental Flight on Sunday. I dropped my dog off at the Quikpak station in Newark without an issue. We were able to check with the stewardess to make sure he made it on ok. My experience may differ from most since I was with my fiance, a tico, and put him as the receiver of the dog in Costa Rica becuase I figured he would have less problems than I would.


When we got to the airport in Costa Rica we proceeded through immigration and into the baggage claim area. They announced Mario's (my fiance) name over the loudspeaker and asked him to go to the desk in the baggage claim area. We provided the receipt they had given me in the Quikpak area and the man helped us through customs with our luggage and the dog. I thought we were going to a vetenarian to have the dog checked or something, but nope, next thing I knew we were outside on the sidewalk with all the luggage and dog. We tipped the guy and that was it. All that worry for nothing.

We went to see Mario's sister and all of the family from the San Jose area when we first got here. It was nice but very confusing, I can't remember who was there but they extended a warm greeting. We stopped up in Cerro del Muerte for lunch. I recognized the fried chicken and rice, but not much else. I had picadillo de palmito which was good and something I never had before. We finally got to Mario's parents (it is about 3 hours from the airport) and there was another gropup of the family to meet. Again, what nice people!

We have spent the last 4 days doing errands to set up the house and our new lives. We got a washer, dryer, fridge, oven, sofa set, dining set, and a cabinet for pots and stuff. The houses here come with nothing! In fact we had to buy lightbulbs. The first 2 days I showered with cold water since the house did not come with the hot water shower head. Coming from a family of electricians, it is very scarey here with electricity. The stove and dryer are hard wired into a 220 switch. Now this is not a normal switch on the wall it is a lever. I will put a picture on when I have a chance. The ducha or shower head is wired for hot water and is installed the same way with the wires running along the metal pipe to the plastic head. It is nicknamed the suicide shower. I can see why.

We are almost settled in now and are starting to enjoy our new life. We wake up to roosters crowing. I thought they crow at dawn, but no, it is well before dawn. At dawn all the birds start and the neighborhood wakes up. It is weird that at 9 am I feel like half the day is gone. I have always been a night owl, but I see this changing since there is not much to do at night and we are always exhausted.

We are sleeping on the air mattress until our stuff gets here. It is not really that uncomfortable. There are a bunch of dogs that roam our neighborhood, I know that sounds scarey, but they are about the size of a minipincher or smaller. Diego is marking his territory and letting them know he is here. I foresee a scuffle in his future, but I hope he can make some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers