Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tomorrow we may have stuff!

The stuff we shipped from the states is still in San Jose. Mario has been on the phone with Ramon off and on for the last few days. We thought we could get it today but this morning's call informed us we had a "red light" and everything would be searched again. I called our shipper Port to Port and they said we were on our own - how nice. So guess I won't be recommending them to anyone soon. It is our fault, but I kinda hoped they could help a little. Apparently although both the shipping company and I stressed to Mario that EVERYTHING had to be included in the list of items in the shipment he decided to be creative and only list the stuff that seemed important to him. Note to self - if you want a job done right ... Well the customs agent noticed that like all my shovels and the metal chairs and the clock and other things that were not in boxes were also not on the list. He told Mario that by rights they could hold the stuff and not give it to us. I guess we have joined the band of mad shovel smugglers or something. So Mario tipped him and they tried to straighten out the paperwork. Yesterday the paperwork went to the reviewer who found some other issue and gave us the red light. So from 9 AM until around 1:30 they went through all of our things AGAIN. We now apparently have the green light and only need to go and pay the storage costs for them keeping our stuff all this week. You got it - we have to PAY because they wouldn't release the shipment. They assure us it isn't much, but still sheesh. Mario and our new furniture guy friend, Carlos, will be leaving at 4:30 tomorrow morning. I get to greet the tile guy Herman, also a really nice guy, at 7 when he will start to tile our bathroom! Yeah!!! No more skeevies in the shower.

We also got cable today. No TV, it's in San Jose, but we are ready dammit! Again I was assured in 2 months I will have real internet. This connection works OK but every now and then you just can't connect. My old job wants me to work from here, another BIG yeah!!, I need a reliable connection. Plus I use it for VOIP so I depend on it for the phone too. I will be renting an office in the city until I find out for sure that working from here is feasible or Cabletica gets me a reliable connection.

The really weird thing I have noticed about my life here is that I am tired when it gets dark. Remember that it is dark at 6 so going to bed now is sort of not a good idea. I hope my body clock adjusts or the damn rooster stops waking me up at 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers