Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am working and car woes

Yes, I am working. Good thing cause we are spending way too fast. I think we are winding down now with the exception of the car. Nice car, a little dipute cause Mario bought it without me while we were in the states and it is a standard so I can't drive it. He says he did it on purpose because I take the dog with me. Worked out badly for him though since now he has to come with me on every shopping spree! He is painting my office since it looks like I can work from here now that I have the data card. The speed is decent and I set up a small network so I can talk on the phone from 1 computer while working on the other. The work laptop doesn't support skye which is working way better than the magic jack was.

So anyway the car... the way it works here is different than in Pa, the license plate stays with the car, so many times people don't transfer the title when they buy the car. So now we own this car, but it turns out that the tiltle is held by someone 4 owners ago. Luckily Mario happens to know the guy, unluckily he moved 6 hours away and needs to sign the title over. Mario found a lawyer who will take the signature by fax and do the paperwork, but we are stuck with the car until it all goes through which may take a month. Great. The car does well on short trips but whenever we go a distance the top blows off of the coolant tank and rusty water spews all over. Our Dominical trip was a bit harrowing because the car did like 2 miles an hour climbing the mountains and seemed like it was going to die before we reached the tops. I was praying for all I was worth cause I was afraid a big truck would come barreling up behind us on a curve and run us over. When we finally got close to home the car started to overheat and just when we got to our road it redlined and we pulled over and waited the half hour for it to cool down. Mario added water and said no problem and drove it home. It worked fine for a few more weeks and then the other day popped the top again. We took it to the "mechanic" at the end of our drive who replaced the radiator cap and said that it is fixed. I don't believe him though so I get scared everytime we go out.

The other gem of a surprise was that there is this little switch, like a toggle, in the dash. It works the engine fan. The first day we had the car we didn't know that so we over heated at the bank. Mario and his dad pondered a while trying to figure out what was wrong and then his brother came over and knew about the switch. Everytime we went out it was my job to remember to turn the fan on and off, cause if you forget to turn it off the battery dies. The "mechanic" bypassed the switch and now the fan works off the key. I don't understand why this is not how it is supposed to work, but Mario is happy not having to remember the switch.

Mario and his dad fixing the car our first day here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers