Sunday, March 20, 2011

Creepy crawlies


We are moving from summer into winter and have such an abundance of wildlife. There are TONS of butterflies in the flowers and birds that I have never seen before flying by on their way to who knows where. Probably north I guess. Yesterday was the day of weird bugs. Mario called me into my office to see the mula del diablo this morning. It's weird because they use the word bicho (I have no idea how to spell it but it sounds like beecho) to describe any pesty kind of thing, so a bicho can be an insect, bird, lizard, mouse, you get the picture. So since he was talking about a mula (mule) I figured we were in the mammal category - but nope. He is pointing out the window and I don't see anything, when I realized what he is showing me is ON the screen. A walking stick about a foot long!! How cool!! He said it's called mula since the head looks like a mule's head. I thought it looked more like a seahorse. Anyway this guy hung out all day and then left in the night. He didn't even run when Diego went to sniff him.

Next I went out to feed the birds and there was a single strand of web across the path to the yard. I broke it and realized the garbage hanging from it was the weirdest spider I had ever seen. He clung to the fence and rolled the broken web into a ball and ate it! I looked him up on the internet and found he is a crab spider. A fitting name if you ask me. The "shell" on his back has spikes around it so I am thinking he doesn't have a lot of enemies waiting to gobble him up!
I am heading home again on the 1st of April. The family is spreading my mom's ashes in the ocean and it's my 3 month get out of town time. I think I explained before that when you come to Costa Rica you get a 3 month visa. You need to leave before it expires for at least 72 hours. I have been leaving more often since my mom was ill. We are thinking to go to Panama next time because flying home is so expensive. Although, if Mario's divorce comes through, which it may since they have had the paperwork for a while, we will be getting married and then I can apply for residency and won't have to leave. Anyway, the point is we are getting our first visitor!! My friend Trisha is coming for a week! I am uber excited! I hope she loves Costa Rica as much as I do!

2 comments:

  1. Mary Lynn,

    I love those crab spiders, but I've never seen one eat the web. Will look for that next time.

    I don't think you have to be out of the country for 72 hours anymore unless you are buying stuff outside the country, in which case they don't want you coming back right away.

    Best wishes for your trip back to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey!

    It was pretty cool, he reeled it in into a little ball and then ate it. I guess they recycle. Thanks for the info about not having to stay out 72 hours. I have been going to the states for when I have to renew so I have been staying more than 72 hours. If I have to leave in July we are thinking to go to David so it will be good if I can come right back. We are hoping that Mario's divorce is finalized before then and then we will get married. So I think I will have applied for residency and won't be forced into leaving. Never the less it's good info in case we are still in process! Hope to finally meet you at some point!

    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete

Followers