Friday, December 17, 2010

San Ramon del Alejuela and back

This past weekend was the busiest we have had in a  while! We went to San Ramon del Alejuela to the 50th birthday party for Mario's brother-in-law. They have a furniture factory (all handmade), that's where we got the balcony furniture. They cleared out the main gallery and had the party there. Everyone had a wonderful time! We stayed in town because their house was packed with relatives. We wound up at La Posada Hotel in the center of town. It was beautiful! We stayed in the end room on the second floor (#27). There is a sitting area in front of the room with comfy rockers that looks out on the road in front. The woodwork in the hotel is unbelievable. The beds are all carved as are the doors. It was fairly cheap too, we paid $52 for the room with no breakfast.
On the way home we stopped at El Quetzel Mountain Lodge for a bite to eat. They have a lake where you can fish for your lunch, but we didn't. The most incredible thing (aside from the delicious casado we ate) was the hummingbirds! They have a deck where you can watch them come to eat. The guy from the restaurant, also a bird-watching guide, came out and told us all about them. He put his hand out by the feeder and they landed on his finger to eat! You know we bought a hummingbird feeder when we got home!
Aren't these guys spectacular?! We are getting better at taking photos. Although we wound up with lots of finger shots sans hummer. These guys are QUICK!
On the homefront - Dora got her first haircut! She looks even more like a monkey now!!


We also witnessed a caterpillar turning into a butterfly - way cool!! I tried to get photos but I was working so this was the best I could do. I went in to do some work and when I came out there was a floppy winged butterfly. I came out later and startled it and off it flew.


I got my first bird at the feeder! Mario put out pineapple. I thought he was nuts but this beautiful baltimore oriole came to munch. It's a regular visitor now!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Lynn!

    Dora is, ... well aDorable. :) Cool on the feeders. We find bananas work best of all. The birds are hungry this year after all that heavy rain. We just had a couple of Aracaris (Cusingas) take a look at our feeder tonight. First time we've seen them up this high! Unfortunately, there were no bananas.

    Let's get together for a coffee sometime at the Soda Yumak, the one that used to be The Coffee Stop. Actually, they have excellent capuccino at the organic coop cafeteria (just up our bumpy road), but their machine is broken right now. :=(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey!

    I have had bananas out there since we moved here and have only attracted bats which I am petrified of! I know there is no reason to be afraid of them, they are harmless, but I just freak out and forget that when I see them. I don't know where the coffee stop is - but coffee sounds great! I hear we know a lot of the same people at the international corner in the feria, but I guess we go at different times. Give me a ring on skype - it forwards to my cell and we can set a time. I am off between Christmas and New Years so that would be a great time. Have a merry and a happy!

    ReplyDelete

Followers